Pages

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Everybody's welcome on the farm

I'm not upset when I see mole hills or mice or rabbits. Generally, the more life the better. Mole hills are a sign that  the soil is regaining health. Moles need to eat over half their weight in earthworms each day so they're always looking for rich, abundant soil that is full of worms.

If you've got moles then you've got worms. If you've got worms then you've got worm poop. Yay, worm poop.

Strange fact: A moles saliva is toxic to earthworms. It will paralyze but not kill. The still alive worms are often stored in what is essentially a mole pantry. Sometimes, a mole will store a thousand worms for later meals.

Voles follow in the mole holes, as do mice. The real damage to crops is done by these two. But, as I said, these creatures, usually annoyances or worse, are not hated by me. I see rabbits but I also see Hawks, so nature balances the equation, leaving food for everyone, including my family.

Coast Garter
This little Coast Garter Snake, above, was roaming around. I picked him up. I'd never 'own' a snake because I like my animals to have multiple jobs, but I like seeing them on the farm. They eat mice, moles, voles, bugs.

I can't help grabbing the poor fellows. Reptiles are really cool. Garter snakes are generally not harmful to humans. But, they will emit a smelly musk when threatened, and they do have teeth. If they manage to puncture your skin and then gum you for a bit you might even suffer a small swelling or irritation because they do produce a neurotoxin. If you're a frog and you let the snake gum you then you'll have the unimaginable experience of being swallowed whole while still alive. I guess if the snake was big enough, and you let him gum on you until he released all of his venom, then you might have the same displeasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment